Monday, 15 April 2013

When you know you have a good idea and drop everything to persue it

Here is a little story about an event that happened 2 weeks ago. When I was a kid I wanted to make a hovercraft. I went to the library and thoroughly researched it. I found out it wasn't feasible. I then researched how to make a gas-powered or an electric skateboard. Again it wasn't feasible.

Fast forward to the present and I saw a ted talk on electric skateboards. Apparently, both motors and batteries have come up leaps and bounds since I was a kid and I instantly wanted start building them and selling them. Since Im an entrepreneur I know how to get something up and out the door.

Im always looking for more revenue streams and eventually I wanted to branch out into physical products. This was the perfect project for me. The only problem is that I haven't produced physical products, I produce software.

The main reason a physical product like this would be great is that I could charge a lot of money, and I wouldn't have to sell a lot to make a profit. This way I wouldn't have to sell a lot to make a livable income. Also buy working with something different, it would make the some of the "boring" software work more fun.

Lot's of people do make stuff in their homes and sell it. It is a very easy and simple way to make money.

So I researched everything I possibly could but in the end I had to say no to the idea. The reason is too much liability. I learned a very valuable lesson here which is that software is much easier to produce than physical products. I'm going to stick with software for now.

In the end I will just build an electric skateboard for myself. I will post pictures a long the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Amazon Deals